There are a few rare moments when great people leave their profession and follow their dreams. When this happens, history is bound to be written. One such story was that of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. A physician by choice, Doyle left behind the path of medicine to follow his passion of writing. The fruits of his path are still enjoyed more than a century later. As we embark the 84th Death anniversary of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle here are 10 quotes by the author that touch a chord.
1. Any truth is better than indefinite doubt.
2. We can’t command our love, but we can our actions
3. There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact
4. When a doctor does go wrong he is the first of criminals. He has nerve and he has knowledge.
5. When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
6. The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes.
7. The love of books is among the choicest gifts of the gods.
8. Education never ends, Watson. It is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.
9. What you do in this world is a matter of no consequence. The question is what can you make people believe you have done?
10. Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent.”
11. To a great mind, nothing is little
12. For strange effects and extraordinary combinations we must go to life itself, which is always far more daring than any effort of the imagination.
13. Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius.
14. Of all ghosts, the ghosts of our old loves are the worst.
15. It is better to learn wisdom late, than never to learn it at all.