3. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, creator of Sherlock Holmes, was also a ship’s surgeon, a boxer, Deputy Lieutenant of Surrey and a first-class cricketer.
4. He was also responsible for popularising skiing in Switzerland.
7. In the 1969 Oxford-Cambridge chess match, players named Holmes and Watson both won their games for Oxford.
8. Holmes often said “elementary” and “My dear Watson” but never “Elementary my dear Watson.”
9. The Sherlock Holmes Museum, officially at 221b Baker Street, London, is actually at number 239.
10. Dr Watson’s first name is John but his wife calls him James in The Man With the Twisted Lip.